There are many claimed benefits of DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone), some more valid than others. The dietary supplement is often claimed to be beneficial for enhancing sexual desire and function, reversing aging, and improving mental function. While some clinical studies have shown positive results for some of these claimed benefits, much more research is needed to confirm other uses of the supplement.
DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) is a hormone that is available as a dietary supplement. People claim that DHEA is beneficial for the following uses:
- Reversing aging
- Promoting weight loss
- Enhancing sexual desire and function
- Improving mental function
- Improving the function of the immune system
- Increasing strength, muscle mass, and energy
- Alleviating menopause symptoms
- Treating infertility, especially in women with poor ovarian reserve undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Treating or preventing the following conditions:
While some clinical studies have shown positive results for some of these claimed benefits, there is very little evidence to suggest that DHEA is beneficial for many uses (see Does DHEA Work? for more information).