An Overview of Herbal Levitra
Because of the high cost of Levitra®
HCL) and the fact that the drug is "not natural," there are many people looking for alternatives to Levitra. One alternative is "herbal Levitra." If you search the Internet for "herbal Levitra," you are bound to find many people selling products that claim to have similar effects to Levitra. However, at this point, no supplements or herbs have been shown to be effective at treating erectile dysfunction
). If you suffer from erectile dysfunction, visit your doctor so that the problem can be diagnosed. Your doctor can recommend treatment that is right for your particular situation.
Other Things to Consider Before Using an Herbal Levitra
Before taking an herbal medicine (including herbal Levitra), it is important to be informed about that particular herb -- the same way that you would want to be informed about a licensed prescription medicine you were taking. This is especially true for people with erectile dysfunction because, in many cases, they are taking other medicines that could interact in a negative way with an herbal supplement. Here are some things to keep in mind regarding any herbal medicine:
- The fact that an herbal supplement is labeled "natural" does not mean it is safe or without any harmful effects. For example, the herbs kava and comfrey have been linked to serious liver damage.
- Herbal supplements can act in the same way as drugs. Therefore, they can cause medical problems if not used correctly or if taken in large amounts. In some cases, people have experienced negative effects even though they followed the instructions on a supplement's label.
- If you use herbal supplements, it is best to do so under the guidance of a medical professional who has been properly trained in herbal medicine. This is especially important for herbs that are part of an alternative medical system, such as the traditional medicines of China, Japan, or India.
- In the United States, herbal and other dietary supplements are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as foods. This means that they do not have to meet the same standards as drugs and over-the-counter medications for proof of safety, effectiveness, and what the FDA calls Good Manufacturing Practices.
- The active ingredient(s) in many herbs and herbal supplements are not known. There may be dozens, even hundreds, of such compounds in an herbal supplement. In fact, some herbal supplements have been found to be contaminated with metals, unlabeled prescription drugs, microorganisms, or other substances.
Many herbs have a long history of use and claimed health benefits. However, some herbs have caused health problems for users. If you are considering taking an herbal Levitra, talk with your healthcare provider. Together you can come up with a treatment plan that works for your particular situation.